Saturday, September 21, 2013

The terrible and wonderful reasons I go birding all the time...



Not normally something I would post on the blog - but I'm also short on material right now (and didn't want to leave my "please lead my ofo hike" post on the top any longer than a day)...


I often check a webcomic known as "the oatmeal" - for some entertainment.

http://theoatmeal.com/


It has nothing to do with birds...



(don't worry birds, it has nothing to do with oatmeal either)



With that said, there was a rather long comic titled "the terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances" that was posted semi-recently...

Overall, it explains why the author has taken to running marathons as a hobby. It's kinda funny - but whatever right?

(whole comic here) - http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running


As I read along, I was rather indifferent until I read what could essentially be the grand conclusion of this little animated story. Three "frames" specifically...






If I could just swap out "run" with "bird" - well that's darn remarkable. The second panel in particular really sets the mood for why I'm constantly interested in birding... The specifics (eg,/ Cake) don't really match up, but the basic message is the same.

I've always found it interesting that I seem to do my "best" birding when I'm alone, perhaps because my mind has free reign to wander in any direction it pleases.

Anyways.. Just wanted to share... I feel like I've spent hundreds of hours contemplating the future and trying to understand the actions I take... Do you ever spend time thinking about "why" you go birding? Or do you just "go birding" ?





2 comments:

  1. lol - now THIS is the type of stuff I was looking for...

    HEY Karmel - you are freakin welcome for "every other" informative website... Creating the internet wasn't easy - but I was able to pull it off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon, your posts are written in such a perfect approach!

    ReplyDelete