Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Condo birding update - Aug 28 to Sep 2



Aug 28 - after multiple days away for work, I returned in the evening at sundown. Only managed 9 Green-winged Teal before dark... Happy to be back though...

==================

Aug 29 - some brief watching in the early morning didn't turn up much.... Cormorant #'s really low.

- 9 Long-tailed Ducks
- 8 Green-winged Teal
- 1 Red-breasted Merganser (first since the spring)
- 6 Common Loons

For some mid-day fun, my Dad and I went out in the boat for a while!!! --- see the story in yesterday's blog post...

I was home again right around dusk (why do I always arrive home after the sun has gone down?) - a quick scan yielded another Peregrine! (But this one was waaay out over the lake, perhaps carrying a small bird... and took a swipe at a gull on the water)


==================


Aug 30 - I had to work, but turned up a flock of 12 Red-breasted Mergansers before 7am. It's fun seeing these birds "arrive" -as I had my first of the fall the previous morning!


==================

Aug 31 - slow slow slow.... need it to cool down!

Mallard - 6
Canada Goose - 2 (flying way out over the lake)
Scoter sp - 3
White-winged Scoter - 9
Green-winged Teal - sev
Northern Pintail - 3
American Black Duck - 2
Long-tailed Duck ~8
Common Merganser - 11 (first of fall)
Bonaparte's Gull - 6

HEY - 6pm - finally a decent bird... juv intermediate morph Parasitic Jaeger:




==================

Sep 1 - Boom goes the dyno-mite!

Insane in the membrane... I slept in a bit, then got a text from my parents, waking me up around 7:45am... I owe all the days birds to them! Thanks Mom and Dad!

It was SLOW again early, especially given the NE winds -

1 Lesser Yellowlegs
1 Green Heron
2 Great Blue Herons
5ish Common Loons
13 Common Mergansers

Then I noticed it! - a beauty of a juvenile Peregrine Falcon sitting eye level on the other condo building - looking at me!



   "Well isn't that just great. A beautiful and incredibly pale juvenile Peregrine Falcon watching me - watch birds! Really beautiful, and spectacular looks in the scope. Black band means it's an Ontario bird. I wonder where it's from? It's always a great day when you see a Peregrine. Truth be told, I could hardly care what else flies by - even if today is slow - because I've seen a Peregrine.. They're so awesome... I suppose today will...  WHAT THE HECK IS THAT BLACK AND WHITE BIRD?!?!?! SNOW GOOSE?? No... WHITE PELICAN? ... NO... "



"OH MY GAWD IT'S AN ADULT GANNET" 

*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*






So yeah, pretty much the story of the day (needless to say) ... I had some other birds in the morning, including 1 dark/intermediate juv Parasitic Jaeger - but not much really. I guess it does only take one bird!!

In the afternoon - Ken-tucky Burrell stopped by in the afternoon, where we scored a few more birds (another juv Parasitic, 5 White-winged Scoters - and some warblers from the balcony) as the winds died down. Not a bad day!!!

==================


Sep 2 - calm ,and hazy early. I actually watched the lake for a bit - and didn't really see anything of note. Almost every day I see some very distant flocks of puddle ducks that I just can't seem to identify. I did notice that there were a lot of warblers in the trees below (sev Magnolia - and I scored a Least Fly from the balcony) - so I decided to rock the patch for a while.


Confederation Park (east end) - ebird checklist!  -


Highlights were - Ruby-crowned Kinglet and 14 Warbler species (including the first Nashville and Cape May's for the patch list). 


Edgelake Park - ebird away! - 


Highlights were Black-and-White and Tennessee (that were new after Confederation) - giving me 16 species on the morning! 

Some filler-photos from my walk:




Greg in the rain... I had to wait out a heavy downpour under a small tree while at Confederation... 


Winner winner! Maggie's the most common warb of the day... 


Cape!


This Night-Heron was right on shore - fast asleep! (down to 8-10ft) 


Hey Bay-B! 





No comments:

Post a Comment