Monday, September 2, 2013

Zodiac Report - Aug 29th


I'll have more pictures of the Gannet ready to upload tomorrow (Tuesday)...



=============================


Decidedly unfunny terns (not commic).. 


My Dad and I rocked the boat for the first time in 2013 back on Aug 29... It was beneficial in that we now know the boat doesn't have any holes in it (and the motor works) etc etc..

You know what the problem was? The dreaded SE wind doth blew... I HATE south east winds... They take away my fun!

We zipped out to "pelagic zone" (probably 7-10km offshore) where we found some Red-necked Phalaroples (5 to be exact) with one being an adult.

We floated for a while - not seeing much...

We threw bread in the deep for a while - not seeing much...

Then we returned to shore - not seeing much...

So we decided to end the day there! Only real notables were several groups of Common Terns, the 5 Pharlies, a male Surf Scoter and the occasional Long-tailed Duck and Common Loons....


NEXT TIME!



The adult RN Phal (centre) with two juvies.. 


=====================


Speaking of next time - why have the weather forecasts been so gosh darn horrible of late??? I know everyone and their cousin likes to bash the weather forecast - often for no logical reason - but in all honesty, it has been subpar recently...

Not that I know why, but virtually every weather source I check changes dramatically with each update (usually 2-4 per day - depending on the source) - and even with 12 hours notice - the results are poor (often great by that time)...

I'd love to start making predictions on when the next wave of migrants/drop of birds will be - but who really knows?!





=====================


Hurricane season? What Hurricane Season? ...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

2 comments: