Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mini-photo shoots continue!


Ever since phase 2 of the revolution (I'm not sure if that's the right phase, but I'm guessing no one else does either), where I decided to pull back on the focal length (not using teleconverters as often = better focus/sharpness but 40% less reach), I've had birds landing in my lap.

Newest candidate on the block is this Wilson's Snipe. Somewhat lacking in decent photos a year ago, I've had a few chances since then; and suddenly have a respectable collection. I literately pulled the car right up to this bird and started shooting, without a glance my way. He was busy calling and displaying, and let me grab about 30 shots before flying off.


So what's the deal? Why am I getting these birds closer than ever? The above image is 15980544 pixels of full-frame goodness. Soon to be properly added to the collection, it's nothing "new" really (I have photos of snipe on posts, and one of a snipe calling on the ground) but the sharpness, perch, background etc. are probably all better than anything before... And it's always nice to have some sort of action (eg,/ calling)

No comments:

Post a Comment