Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book review: Avian Architecture

Book review time!

Disclaimer: Princeton Publishing provided a copy for review


Book review: Avian Architecture   How birds design, engineer & build

The skinny: I decided to go out on a limb and take a look at this book. I don't really think it is the style of publication that readers of the blog here will dive into, but it was still fun to read. 

Price: listed on the back as $27.95

~160 pages


The Good stuff: There is a lot of cool information in this book. If you like nests, I'm sure it would be very exciting. I've never been much of a nest searcher, but I still found it fun to flip through the pages. There's some nice photos scattered around as well (as shown above). 

The bad stuff:  there really isn't anything "bad" about the book.... Good/bad doesn't really apply here. Maybe it's time for a new category in the book reviews.


The X Factor:   I'm not sure if "X Factor" is right either... But here's the low-down... The whole 9 yards? ....... 

I get the strong impression that this book was written for kids. Maybe I'm wrong and that's very insulting, but it gave me flashbacks to my youth in elementary school,, flipping through the teachers collection of books. Some of the drawings, while very accurate, look like they're down by kids themselves. 

It's not a bad thing, but I don't think you're looking for a book like this if you're reading my blog. 



Who gets this book? :

1. Schools, Libraries, etc. --- a great book to have in the classroom, a school library, public library, maybe make it available for a young-naturalists program at your local organisation. If a kid has an interest in this type of natural history, I'm sure they would love it. Having it available at these locations would help get it into their hands. 

2. - Gifts? -- maybe a nice complementary Christmas present to a youngster who loves nature. I don't think there's any guarantee that they'll wear it out reading it so often, but you never know. 

3. People who love books.  --- if you really like books, it IS under $30... Really not a bad price for a book these days, and it does have a lot of fun information and photographs. Why not give it a try?





No comments:

Post a Comment