Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Getting back to my roots.. back to ma hood....



I spent the day yesterday (Mar 27) at Beamer (Grimsby) for a grand old day at the hawkwatch. This is where I started birding, where the spark happened... And I hadn't spent a full day there in close to 2 years...


At the time of writing, I don't have the official stats for the day.. But I also wasn't there from start to finish... Here was my random guesses at count totals at the end of the day:

Thought this would be a great quiz photo, but decided against it. A Juv Red-shoulder from today -- indicating that RSHA migration is really mostly done...

My ebird checklist:

Canada Goose  2
Double-crested Cormorant  18
Great Blue Heron  1

Turkey Vulture  150
Osprey  1
Bald Eagle  2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  15
Cooper's Hawk  3
Northern Goshawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  5
Red-tailed Hawk  40

Ring-billed Gull  X
Bonaparte's Gull 2
Herring Gull  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
American Crow  30
Black-capped Chickadee  X
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
American Robin  X
European Starling  2
American Tree Sparrow  2
Fox Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco  15
Northern Cardinal  3
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X
Brown-headed Cowbird  X
American Goldfinch  5


------------

Could be a bit of a guess on my part... Maybe under counted on some of the hawks... Over on the vultures?? Anyways.. Was a great day in the sun. Goshawk was a juvenile male that gave some really sweet looks in the scope. The eagles were 1 apparent adult and 1 very very near adult

Record photo of the first OSPR of the year for Beamer.




No comments:

Post a Comment