Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pelee Birds - May 17th, 2013




HEY! You there... 



Great day of birding...

Started at the tip - things were pretty slow. Although not that cold given the east winds...  At least 6 Lesser Black-backed Gulls were there before I got bored and started to wander...

At the VC lot for second breakfast, I had a Common Nighthawk fly over...


A quick check of Tildens, Woodland Nature and part of the west beach let me know that a decent drop of new migrants had occurred!



I see you over there... 


A text from Steve Pike got me to his location quickly (tip road near VC) - for a look at an incredibly dull "Solitary Vireo" bird... Didn't get any pics (wish I did) -but it was a darn freaky bird. What a terrible split... Lump them back!


My Dad and I worked the west beach picnic areas (and west beach trails) for most of mid-day with great numbers of migrants. We ended the day with 23 species of warbler that we saw at least 3 individuals of! Also pulled out an Acadian Flycatcher (personal FOY)...

We checked the tip again quickly mid afternoon. There was a dark mantled gull there that confused me, right before some tourists flushed it (never to be seen again)...


The evening was spent along NW beach area where we continued to see great numbers of migrant warblers and other neotrop's... A great day! A calling Nighthawk closed out the festivities..


Please come and sit right here! 


No major rares to report, but it was really fun to be out. Here's some pics form today, brought to you by my "point and shoot" camera -



BOBO in the VC Parking Lot


Yellow-throated Hummingbird



A sleeping Black-and-White Warbler... Seriously...


Photo of the day (not too bad for a point and shoot eh?) - Scuurrrrlet Tanager







No comments:

Post a Comment