Thursday, May 2, 2013

the REAL Townsend's Warbler story..... + May 1 at Pelee




Yeah... So this bird called over my head along the tip road today.... It was loud and clear and I knew I hadn't heard it before... It then quickly flew quite a ways down the road and landed in the top of a tree..


I got the bins on it, and almost pooped my pants when I saw it was a member of the "Black-throated Green Superspecies" (Hermit/Townsend's/BT Green/Golden-cheek) - that clearly wasn't a Hermit Warbler...

It then took off... Like right away... Before I fully had the chance to process it...

And to be honest, in my very short look - it didn't look right for BT Green either - but it's back was towards me so notable field marks of TOWA/BTNW were hard to tell with a 1.75 second look..

And I wasn't prep'ed for it at all - I was expecting something messed up like a Brewster's Warbler - NOT ready for that to happen...


----------------

I sent out the text "I'm not sure, but I think I just had a Townsend's Warbler - is is going to reverse" --- eg,/ It flew quickly as it was taking part in a reverse migration underway...

Got to the tip - saw Josh V and Dave B --- Did you get my text?! No!? Jesus... Can you please play me a TOWA song on your phone? I have no idea what they sound like.. The bird I heard was like a Prairie Warbler at the start, and continued to rise, but sort of turned into a whistle...

Guess what - that's EXACTLY what the Townsend's Warbler song sounded like when we played it a few seconds later...

And not only that - but Josh and Dave looked at each other and said something along the lines of "THAT'S WHAT WE HEARD!"

Then Dave Brown walks up and says "what are you guys doing" - answer: "We're playing TOWA songs because the three of us are pretty sure we we've seen and/or heard one... Then Dave turns to Mark and says "I THOUGHT I heard a Townsend's! I told you!"



So yeah.... It wasn't seen or heard again and probably flew to Pelee Island...

But the song was perfect (100% perfect) and I actually had a very short look at the bird to confirm it wasn't something really messed up like this beast:


http://www.flickr.com/photos/osteopteryx/6980297448/



That's the story... I'm gonna count it on my personal list and write it up so it can be rejected by the OBRC (couldn't rule out Hermit X TOwnsend or BT Green X Townsend etc) - but yeah... Better looks are always preferred - but it is also really fun to ID something that's a huge challenge.


=================================


THE BIRDS:

Self Found:

Townsend's Warbler
Prairie Warbler (Dave Bell ID'd in flight - a female - freakin awesome)
2 Hooded Warblers
7+ Blue-winged Warblers
1 Golden-winged
2 Grasshopper Sparrows
Lesser Black-backed Gull
White-eyed Vireo


SO fresh, so clean... 


Prairie - IN FLIGHT! Boo-ya 


Twitched:

Hooded, Golden-winged etc

Tons of FOY birds.. Thrushes, Warbs, Indigo's, Marsh Wren at the tip, etc... There was an excellent reverse migration in the morning...


MISSED - crazy ass bird that Dave Bell saw and photo'd - I'll let him tell the story... Let's just say I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I saw it....


==============================



Need a new computer wallpaper? How about a White-eyed Vireo from today! - Let the insanity continue tomorrow as the weather stays excellent...







1 comment: