Friday, May 17, 2013

Pelee Birdz! May 16th.........



Large Mouth! 



Another day, another dollar (or no dollars).... Started at the tip early, as per usual – mostly with Dave Bell and Barb Charlton among the masses. Birds still migrating overnight, and there has still not been a single day with a large drop of Warblers into the woods. Overall, rather enjoyable though...

Winds were very light to calm... A small loon flying past (I heard some calls of Red-throated) was a very good looking PACIFIC LOON in juv/basic plumage just past the point (going west) – until it turned NW when it rounded the point. My 6th self found PALO in the last 10 years... Pretty awesome! Although at the same time, I’d happily trade one in for some new “self found species” – but what can you do?? (just enjoy it!)

Peter Burke then picked out an adult Laughing Gull sitting on the tip in front of the 40+ people standing around chatting. Nice looks! My Dad also found a Whip-poor-will near the Sparrow Field that several of us checked out. Very cool.




The tip was pretty slow – so we left early and worked the woods in the north end of the park. A singing male Cerulean put on a show for our party. Just as the team was ready to split up, word came of a Yellow-throated Warbler not far from our location!!! We walked up the road and enjoyed great views at the far N end of the Blue Heron trail...Woot!



Both pics of THEE birds... 



Dave Bell and I had a bit of a friendly warbler competition underway for most of the spring.... When I twitched the Worm-eating a few days ago, I pulled ahead of our 35-35 tie.... (36 to 35).. Then he and Barb responded when he got 36 with their self-found Kirtlands!! But thankfully I managed my 37th species of the year in Ontario (and Pelee) when I twitched the Kirtland’s about 90mins after they found it...

So anyways – the only thing I had left on D.B. was Yellow-throated, until this bird put on a show – locking us into a 37-37 species tie for 2013. Dave is off to work now, and I’m not 100% sure exactly how many more days of birding I’ll manage in May 2013 – but it was really fun overall (and a great year for Warbler species counts!)


Female Blue-winged Warb in flight from a few days ago.. I feel pretty good to tie that guy on warbler numbers - given that he makes ID's on birds like this one in flight on cloudy days (and nails it)!



Anyways, I went back at mid-day to get a break from the heat --- and ended up napping for several hours --- putting an end to my birding day early. Which was fine by me! Let’s see what tomorrow brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment