Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Pelee Apr 30th



Finally back to Pelee for the afternoon -

Apparenly I missed an awesme reverse migration while I was driving in during the morning....

I was gone for two days...

Know what my Dad (who stayed) saw?!


--- Bell's Vireo (self found)

--- Dickcissel (self-found)

--- Painted Bunting (twitch)

--- Henslow's Sparrow (twitch)...


Not to mention others found crazy stuff like Worm-eatings, King Eider, Laughing Gull, etc etc etc



I don't really mind that I had to work (I enjoy getting paid),, but DAMN could more rarities have been found at Pelee in those 2.5 days?!


ANYWAYS...



We walked for 4-5 hours straight when I arrived (VC Lot to NW Beach and back) and the best bird we had a was Purple Finch (BOO!) But I was actually quite happy to see several FOY...

We then walked to the tip, not seeing too much - when my Dad spotted this:




BAM! Kentucky... I had never "self found" one in all my years of birding.. Crazy nemesis on that front... Anyways the thing was GLOWING in evening light, and I really wish I had a better chance to get pics (it was waaay closer and in the open when it was first spotted) But yeah - can't complain.. What a BEAUT..


We then birded the tip till dusk - great to see Scarlet Tanagers etc around.. Also twitched the Henslow's -- INCREDIBLE views down to a few feet:




This place sure can be awesome at times.. Looking forward to what tomorrow (May 1) will bring!






No comments:

Post a Comment