Monday, May 27, 2013

Condo birding - an ebird checklist a day...


I've discovered doing a "stationary migration watch" is a great way to start the morning when I'm in a haze, trying to wake up..... I just stumble towards my window - open it - and start scanning with the bins!

----------

aaa_Condo, Hamilton, CA-ON
May 25, 2013 7:35 AM - 8:00 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: CONDO window watch
25 species

White-winged Scoter 1
Long-tailed Duck 8
Common Loon 2
Double-crested Cormorant X
Killdeer 1
Ring-billed Gull X
Herring Gull 4
Great Black-backed Gull 1
Caspian Tern 1
Common Tern 10
Rock Pigeon 2
Mourning Dove 5
Barn Swallow 3
House Wren 1
American Robin X
European Starling X
Common Yellowthroat 1 first time I've heard one (singing) from the 17th floor...
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 1
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Common Grackle 1
House Finch 1
American Goldfinch 14
House Sparrow 6


White-winged Scoter, Common Loons and Great Black-backed Gull were the notables (as well as a singing Common Yellowthroat, which I hadn't heard from my window before)... 

Not too bad for 25 minutes! But then I started to get "stuff done"....

-----------------------------

From 8am-Noon I did the occasional scan while doing other things. The notables -

White-winged Scoter - 15+
Surf Scoter - 1
Long-tailed Duck - 8
Common/ARCTIC Tern - 1    - picked out due to different flight style than the many Common Terns (50+) I  had seen this morning... ID not 100% but behaviour, structure and bouncy flight looked pretty good for ARTE at a distance.. Probably wasn't.. But looked ok.. . a-well...





No comments:

Post a Comment