Saturday, May 25, 2013

This condo thing is AWESOME



Good golly, Molly... I worked most of the day. Got home around 5:45pm... Right away I went to the window to see what was happening after the cold front had pushed in (strong NW winds)...  Stuff was moving, so I watched for a bit... 

25 minutes into the watch... MONSTER flock of Whimbrel!!!!!!!!!!  220 flying WNW low to the water (fairly far, but not too far for my awesome vortex scope!)

I quickly did a scan for any with white-rumps (twice)... Before I realized I was being greedy and just enjoyed the flock as they left... Not sure if I should admit to this - but I darn near had tears in my eyes at such a beautiful sight. Just after I had finished eating dinner at my desk (watching the whole time).. I do enjoy this condo thing... 


EBIRD! What else did I see? 

-----


aaa_Condo, Hamilton, CA-ON
May 23, 2013 5:50 PM - 7:05 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: CONDO window watch
22 species

Surf Scoter 15
Long-tailed Duck 3
Red-breasted Merganser 2
Double-crested Cormorant X
Whimbrel 220      ---     Monster flock of 220 at 6:15pm moving WNW into the strong NW winds...
Ring-billed Gull X
Herring Gull X
Caspian Tern X
Common Tern X
Rock Pigeon 2
Chimney Swift 8
Merlin 1 female
Peregrine Falcon 1 ad female
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1
Purple Martin 2
Tree Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 100
Cliff Swallow 3
Song Sparrow 1
Red-winged Blackbird 3
Common Grackle 2
House Sparrow 8

-----


So yeah.. Home from work... Saw das Whimbrels.. Late sea ducks, swifts/swallows galore... A Merlin! And a Peregrine in 75 minutes... 

Oh boy... 



My little office when I first got the place... A great place to bird.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment