Friday, May 24, 2013

Condo and Patch Birding ! - May 23rd...



More condo + patch birding (short) from May 23rd....


First up - my morning "window watch" while eating toast and waking up! Take it away - ebird!



aaa_Condo, Hamilton, CA-ON
May 23, 2013 6:55 AM - 7:20 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     window condo watch
27 species

Long-tailed Duck  7     breeding plume
Double-crested Cormorant  X
Great Blue Heron  1
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1     NEW condo bird - adult flying along the shore in strong SW winds
Killdeer  1
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Ring-billed Gull  X
Herring Gull  X
Caspian Tern  1
Common Tern  X
Rock Pigeon  3
Chimney Swift  2
Eastern Kingbird  2     single flybys of durinal migrants
Blue Jay  3
Bank Swallow  15
Barn Swallow  X
House Wren  1
American Robin  X
European Starling  X
Cedar Waxwing  80     3 migrant flocks
Yellow Warbler  2
Chipping Sparrow  2
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X
Pine Siskin  1     New condo bird I think... Flew by calling right past the window
American Goldfinch  30
House Sparrow  X


================



After that, got ready and stopped by Edgelake Park again on my way to work. Wasn't on a schedule this day, so I poked around for a few extra mintues. HEY EBIRD - give me a hand here! ---


Stoney Creek--Edgelake Park, Hamilton, CA-ON
May 23, 2013 9:45 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 kilometer(s)
Comments:     Quick check before work. Did the loop + a few side trails
29 species

Cooper's Hawk  1
Killdeer  1
Ring-billed Gull  X
Mourning Dove  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Black-capped Chickadee  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
House Wren  4
Carolina Wren  1  ---  unexpected bird...
Swainson's Thrush  1
American Robin  X
Gray Catbird  4
Cedar Waxwing  40
Ovenbird  1
American Redstart  13
Yellow Warbler  7
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Canada Warbler  1
Wilson's Warbler  2
Song Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal  4
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  1
Baltimore Oriole  1
American Goldfinch  X


Freakin fantastic! Over the past year or two, I've really really enjoyed birding where I don't have to drive far to get there.. And this is just the tops! Not too shabby for a quick 35min walk!



I saw one of these! And I even took a picture of it (her) ! For use on the blog! But I left my camera in my trunk, and now I'm too lazy to go get it. So this will suffice! :) 






3 comments:

  1. wow, you are using eBird again?? go put in your other species for the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yeah... I noticed that (as of 4-5 days ago) Ontario was in FOURTH on ebird for submitted checklists behind California, Texas and New York... So I went back and filled out some checklists from earlier at Pelee and started trying to do 1-2 per day recently..

      SUDDENLY - we've passed both New York and Texas! All thanks to me?! Probably not.. But it's still fun for us to be ahead.

      B

      Delete
  2. Kirtland's Warbler found near Montreal today on Ile Bizard.

    http://www.quebecoiseaux.org/index.php?option=com_oiseauxrares&Itemid=133&lang=fr

    ReplyDelete