Saturday, November 9, 2013

Niagara River birds - Nov 7, 2013



I watched a bit from my condo in the morning. Moving on...





I decided to "zip down" to the river before going to work. Totally "on the way" - right? I've realized it takes just over 30 minutes to get to Adam Beck. Freakin sweet. My stops as I visited them:



Adam Beck - few large gulls (as expected on a weekday). 1 Little Gull (adult) was cool for the power plants... 5 Great Black-backed Gulls was high for the location in recent years. They're increasing again.


Whirlpool - not much of note...


Above the falls - 100+ Northern Rough-winged Swallows, many ducks (lots of Wigeon right now), 1 Juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gull. Also this strange duck:



Weird pale Mallard X Black ?? 


Below the falls - I love checking below the falls... There's always somethin goofy going on down there, and it just stinks of mega-rare... Today had 2 Little Gulls (1 ad, 1 juv), 2 Peregrine Falcons, 1 Long-tailed Duck, 2 Ruddy Ducks and 1 American Coot (as the oddities) - among the regular ducks/gulls. What an odd mix - always like that... You never know what you're gonna get.



"record photo taking practice" with the ad. Little Gull



Back above the falls - new additions since I was there 45 minutes ago were 2 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls and a 3rd winter Herring X Great Black-backed Gull hybrid... I find hybrids like they're lunch.


Centre-left.. Note the appearance of a Great Black-backed Gull with a mantle shade too pale. 


Adam Beck - (did another stop on the way back) - highlights/new bird was this young FRANKLIN'S GULL - found days earlier by Betsy Potter (I believe) at the Whirlpool - it seems to float around this section of the river. It gave some very good looks right below the main viewing area. 





This post NEEDS MORE FLAIR!!








No comments:

Post a Comment