Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Humpback Whale(s) -- Photoshoot


From my time on boats in BC! - I should have some condo birding news eventually...


Distant Humpback doing "cartwheels" 


Typical view of Humpbacks -a "blow" on the left, and a shallow dive/travelling on the right. 


Two Humpbacks up close. When you see tail (on the left) - it typically means the dive will be deep - so you wont' see it for a little while


Another close Humpback - the spray in the air is the leftover "blow" (breathing)


The next two images are of "flick feeding" - a behaviour I only saw once. They can really throw a lot of water with their tails! (Flukes?)





Pretty phenomenal creatures! Someday I'll have to create a proper index for mammal images on my website. For now, it doesn't exist!



3 comments:

  1. How does flick feeding work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got no idea - I was lucky to work with an extremely knowledgeable marine biologist who told me what they were doing - and that's the only reason I can even pass along this info!

      Delete
  2. Nice....at least you can answer what they are doing in your pictures

    ReplyDelete