Friday, May 9, 2014

Pelee May 8th - new birdies everywhere!!!




Although some commented that it was a "slowish" day at Pelee today, I thought there was an insane push of migrants into the park overnight. Warbler numbers were still a bit low, there was a massive surge of Indigo Buntings, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Baltimore & Orchard Orioles and some Scarlet Tanagers..

That was on top of high numbers of Kingbirds, Least Flycatchers, White-crowned, Lincoln's & White-throated Sparrows, Ruby-crowned Kinglets etc. I thought it was a great day!

I had 24 species of warbler without doing any twitching at all - and I even took the evening "off" due to a lack of sleep. Beauty of a day!


Some notables (that I can remember) -


Reverse Migrants! -

BLUE GROSBEAK! (Female)
Golden-winged Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
2-3 Blue-winged Warblers
A Scarlet Tanager that I yelled out as a Summer Tanager at the tip! (Whoops)

Other -

DICKCISSEL - flyover west beach mid-day
Willets (4) - Wheatley H.
Hooded Warblers (2)
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-throated Loon
Eared Grebe
2 Little Gulls

Really other -

The leucistic Red-breasted Nuthatch!




I'm expecting a similar day tomorrow - huge migration, lots of new birds - maybe a pretty darn good reverse migration. Be there or be square!

Reverse migrants today -



The Grosbeak! 





Bugs also arrived in great numbers. American Lady, Orange & Clouded Sulphur went from 0 to dozens in no time...

I also had a Glider sp!!! (dragonfly) - that I think was Spot-winged - but it got away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment