Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pelee May 12th



No shortage of turkeys 'round here... 

Another great day to be in the park. Another wave of new birds greeted us and the birding was fun. The tip seemed slow to many, but there were birds to be found somewhere in the park if you looked!

My highlight was lingering at the tip, watching the light reverse migration. When virtually the entire morning crew left, I had two seperate Summer Tanagers fly off:





The female showed off a bit by catching a wasp in flight, returning to the tip and eating it (at close range), and then continuing on her "reverse migration" - very cool:


Mmm.. stinger... 


It was foggy at the tip (sort of?) which gave my photos a bit of a blur (and washed out) but it was fun being out there. Two days in a row with HOT weather and little/no wind out there! Beauty!



In my travels around the park today I had a singing Orange-crowned Warbler (east side) and a (late) singing Louisiana Waterthrush (WNT) as my highlights. Solid numbers of birds around to look at. Can't think of much else to add though.

Once again, we have serious promise for tomorrow (today!) - we'll have to see how it all shakes down!

I also forgot to mention that I had a Painted Skimmer (rare ode) the previous day at Pelee!! Always exciting to see.


Prettybird! 



No comments:

Post a Comment