Saturday, May 10, 2014

Pelee Repor - May 9th, 2014



Short post today. Once again, I didn't see the rare bird of the day (in the park area) - no dice on the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. We were not anywhere near the car when news (finally) broke, and it was gone before we even made it there. I hope it somewhat-sticks!





Bam - there it is. Our bird of the day. Dead King Rail that we found just north of the park on the road. Pretty exciting and really awful all at once.

---

Sleep is lacking, so I may not write as much as I normally do. I thought there was another decent influx of birds into the park today, but they largely skipped the point. I had ok numbers at the north end (was at Blue Heron mid-day - no STFL!) - and saw a good pocket of Warblers at Hillman Marsh in the evening. - Speaking of Hillman Marsh, we walked the marsh trail for the first time this year and were rewarded with a calling Least Bittern and a Peregrine Falcon for our efforts!

---

Reverse migration at the tip was pretty good - although still not that many warblers involved. This presumed "female indigo bunting" looked pretty odd - 


It's an indigo...

---

OK sleep time! Saturday is still lookin good... There must be a LOT of birds coming still. Where are the Red-eyed Vireos!?

Pretty birds to close this out - 






7 comments:

  1. Today, I got several shots of a rare, Black-Whiskered Vireo in the bush behind my place in Windham Centre. From what I've read, this bird should not be here.
    Cheer's, Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be one heck of a mega! (No Canadian records - I think?) Any chance you'd be willing to send them to obrc@ofo.ca ? It would be greatly appreciated!

      Delete
  2. I have posted the two pics on the weather channel and waiting for them to be 'moderated' LOL! Should be up soon. I'm also preparing to go to work tonight (2am, trucker,) and will be going to bed soon. I will do my best, sooner or later.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/photos/view/birds/black-wiskered-vireo-2/19002592

    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/photos/view/birds/mega-rare-black-wiskered-vireo/19002574

    Here are the photos in question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David!

      Kevin - WOW that looks good(???)... I have no knowledge of separating this species from Red-eyed Vireo (two very similar birds) - but the basic field marks seem to point to Black-whiskered. I feel like this may be one for multiple experts to chime in...

      You may have the chance to make a large number of people very excited if things line up. The contact email provided above (obrc@ofo.ca) can get you in contact with myself (2014 OBRC Chair), Mike Burrell (2014 OBRC Secretary) and/or Barb Charlton (2014 OBRC assistant secretary). I don't want to get overly excited, as birds can be a headache sometimes, but I would love to see more photos of the bird (if you have more?)..

      Thanks very much for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Hi Brandon, Just got off work. Those two are the best, but I have several more of the side, back and under belly. They're all recorded on RAW file. My e-mail is truckerkev2010@hotmail.com I will send them to you via the e-mail link provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin - we (the OBRC) should get back to you before too long with some more questions/info etc.... As mentioned before - very exciting and thanks very much for sharing. More to come!

      Brandon

      Delete