Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Top 10 birds I would really like to see involving this storm...
Birds get points for two things - rarity, and my feelings on their likeliness to occur ,, to create a top 10!
PS - this is just for fun....
10. Laughing Gull --- see one of these, and it will only get you stupidly excited about what else could be out there (indicator)
9. Barnacle Goose - still sticking with my "odd" prediction of this species in Ontario...
8. Northern Gannet --- coming down the St. Lawrence please!
7. Northern Fulmar - could come from 3 directions (hopefully at least one)
6. Sooty Tern --- one of the "classic" Hurricane birds, hopefully we can get lucky and get a few!
5. Black-capped Petrel ---- THEE classic hurricane bird? A much weaker storm in 1893 brought them to Lake Ontario.....
4. Royal Tern --- Hitting places that still have Royal Terns on the east coast... Maybe a hard one to displace, but I still want it!
3. Magnificent Frigatebird --- Sandy was strongest in a frigatebird-rich area...
2. Dovekie --- well known to not handle "big winds" nearly as well as other alcids
1. Leach's Storm Petrel ---- same as the Dovekie, but I need this one for my Ontario list, so I gave it the bump to #1
Ok here's a top 10 that I really REALLY want
10. Black Skimmer
9. Atlantic Puffin
8. Pink-footed Goose
7. Cory's Shearwater
6. Black-browned Albatross
5. White-faced Storm-Petrel
4. Skua species
3. Brown-chested Martin
2. Non "Black-capped" Pterodroma
1. WHITE-TAILED TROPICBIRD!!!